About the Open World Program
The open world program was established in 1999 to expose emerging Russian political and civic leaders to American civil society through study visits to communities across the United States. Open world is the only program in the legislative branch and in December 2000 congress authorized the new and permanent Open World leadership center at the library of congress. The program was expanded as of 2003 to the following countries: Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Lithuania, and as of 2007 to Azerbaijan, Georgia, Kyrgyz Stan, Moldova, and Tajikistan. The participants will observe the American political system and learn about the responsibilities of and interrelationship between the three branches and different levels of the U.S. government and see how the U.S. private and nonprofit sectors help meet social and civic needs. Five delegates during eight days home hosting which include professional meetings, round tables, tours, training seminars and cultural activities.
Rotary began hosting civic delegations from Russian Federation in 1999 and Rotary clubs hosted in 43 states and hosted more than 2000 delegates from Russian federation. Benefits of Rotary participation: demonstrate volunteerism, great international service opportunities to the clubs and possibilities for long term relationships between Russia and U.S.A. Rotary clubs who are interested to host delegate should know that Rotary International will reimburse the cost and funds available for hiring a local interpreter.
- –Economic Development
- –Local Governance
- –Health & Social Development
- —Includes Youth Issues & Education sub-themes
- –Women as Leaders
Rule of Law
- –Judicial delegations
- Home-stay for 8 days & 9 nights –Hotels in Las Vegas
- Vocational program for selected theme
- Daily meals
- Cultural and social events
- Hiring a professional interpreter
PROGRAM SCHEDULE –8 DAY PROGRAM
- 32 hours of formal theme-related activities
- Social and cultural events
- Local Rotary clubs meetings and fellowship
- If your club is interested in organizing and hosting an Open World Delegation, contact Karen Whisenhunt, District Chair at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Once you have decided what theme you are interested in doing, you must first qualify for the grant with The Rotary Foundation.
- Email The Rotary Foundation Coordinator, Natalia Kunzer at: Natalia.Kunzer@rotary.org …with your interest in the program. She will send you countries pre-approved by the Open World Leadership Center and the forms you need to complete in order to qualify for the grant.
The Rotary Clubs of Southern Nevada hosted by the Las Vegas Rotary Club hosted an Open World, Education, Medical Issues program with a delegation from the Ukraine October 11-19, 2019. What a fun and educational week for the Rotarians and delegates!
The Clubs in Southern Nevada and host Judge, Senior United States District Judge Lloyd D. George hosted the Open World, Rule of Law program with a delegation from Mongolia on July 25 to August 1, 2015.
The Clubs in Southern Nevada and host Judge, Senior United States District Judge Lloyd D. George hosted the Open World, Rule of Law program with a delegation from Kazakhstan on September 28 to October 5, 2013 and a Turkish Delegation April 26 to May 3, 2014.