Polio Plus – Help Eradicate Polio
Decades ago, polio outbreaks were a constant threat around the world.
In 1980s, the disease infected 1,000 children every day in 125 countries. Today, polio cases have declined by 99 percent, with fewer than three hundred cases reported in 2013.
Since the PolioPlus program’s inception in 1985, more than two billion children have received oral polio vaccine. Five million children have been spared disability and over 250,000 deaths from polio have been prevented.
How can we all help?
- Participate in District 5300 polio awareness and fundraising events. Like this Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rotary-District-5300-5330-End-Polio-Now-Events/1444261952507725
- Keep up the awareness of the effort to eradicate polio within your club and within your community.
- Have club programs highlighting National Immunization Day experiences from District 5300 Rotarians.
- Hold community fundraising events that include non-Rotarians
- Stay informed. The Global Polio Eradication Initiative website has current information about the status of the effort: http://www.polioeradication.org/Home.aspx
- Encourage club members and friends from your communities to participate in polio immunization days in other countries.
Polio Vaccine – Factory to Immunization Booth
Bill Gates Announcement